10 Things Great Dads Do (That Average Dads Don’t)
The Bad. The Good. The Great.
Raising three sons in the stress bubble was grueling. I was tired all the time. I went to bed after everyone else, after locking down the house. I woke up before anyone else to get in my quiet (Bible study and prayer) time. I focused on being the best husband and father I could be but struggled to see the forest of the trees! That is life in the Stress Bubble. Today, my sons encourage good fathering with their exemplary adult lives.
What is a great father? What separates him from good, fair, or horrible fathers? Here are ten things we learned from our interview with Rick Johnson on episodes 154 and 156. Check them out!
Here are the top ten things great dads do. I ranked them in descending order from
least to most important.
10. Great Dads have fun with their kids.
9. Great Dads make their home a place their children want to bring
8. Great Dads hang out with other Great dads and couples.
President John F. Kennedy famously said, “A rising tide causes all ships to lift.” Raising kids that turn out right is not an accident. It is strategic. Great dads hang out with other great dads who are raising great children.
7. Great Dads are the primary influencers in the lives of their families.
In this era where intersectionality is thriving in academia and has slithered into many churches, dads must be more engaged than ever. Who will pastor your kids? Who will educate your kids? You will.
6. Great Dads develop their brand.
5. Great Dads allow their children to suffer.
4. Great Dads prioritize who is most important.
Wife second (even if she is your second or third wife).
3. Great Dads PROTECT THOSE they love.
2. Great Dads lead their children to Jesus.
1. Great Dads are an example of Christ with their life.
Paul admonished young believers, “Therefore, I exhort you, be imitators of me. (1 Corinthians 4:16)” Does your faith in Jesus represent him well? If your children following your example—only—what would their faith look like as adults?
Did you know we have a growing YouTube channel? If you want to learn more, you can watch my teaching on this subject on YouTube.
Become the Best Dad for Your Kids, now.