Not a Fan, but a Follower - Notes on Luke 9:57-62
Here are some thoughts about fans:
- Fans live vicariously through those in the arena or on stage.
- Fans want to be close to the stage but far enough to be safe. “Followers will do some crazy things for love, but fans want to play it safe.” - Kyle Idleman
- Fans jump on and off the bandwagon of success.
- Fans fly the right colors but don’t wear the real uniform.
- Fans haven’t paid the sweat equity of those in the game.
- Fans are in the stadium, arena, or church but not in the game.
- Fans haven’t made the necessary sacrifices to win.
- Fans are virtually unknown by those actually in the arena.
- Fans love to watch and cheer but refuse to participate.
Jesus answers, “You’ll follow ME WHEREVER? How about THERE?”
Luke 9:23 - Then he said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and FOLLOW ME."
Jesus answers, “You’ll follow ME WHENEVER? How about NOW?”
“When Jesus calls us to follow, he means right now. He means today…Later becomes never.” Kyle Idleman
Matt 6:33 - But seek FIRST his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
Revelation 2:4 - Yet I hold this against you: You have forsaken the love you had at FIRST.
Jesus answers, “You’ll follow ME to WHOEVER? How about THEM?”
“Fans are NOT willing to follow Jesus if it means disappointing their family. When their relationship with Jesus starts to hurt their relationships with others, that’s asking too much.” - Kyle Idleman
Luke 17:32 - WARNS… Remember Lot’s wife!
Matthew 4:18 - Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew… were casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. 19 “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.” 20 AT ONCE they left their nets and followed him.
Luke 5:10 - Then Jesus said to Simon, “Don’t be afraid; from now on you will fish for people.” 11 So they pulled their boats up on shore, left everything and followed him.
So, you follow Jesus?
How about THERE?
How about THEM?
How about NOW!!!
How about NOW???