Elliott Hulse is a strongman competitor with nearly 2.4 million social media followers. His goal is simple—make men strong in three specific are...
1. Are You Stuck in a Career You Hate? Last week I had the privilege to interview Nicky Billou on Spotify’s #1 Podcast for Christian Men, the Men...
Arena Men, Generalist. Huh? It was a pleasure to interview Morgan Snyder on the Men in the Arena Podcast. Morgan works on the executive leadersh...
Arena Men, I have been hooked on Alone: Season Seven ever since our interview with Joel Van de Loon. Participants attempted to survive for 100 day...
Last week on the Men in the Arena Podcast, we interviewed my friend and fellow NCMM Board Member, Rod Handley. Not only is Rod the president of Character that Counts but is a Stage Four cancer survivor. Three years ago, while undergoing surgery to remove gall stones, surgeons discovered a rare form of cancer nicknamed, “Dead Man Walking Cancer” because, by the time it manifests symptoms, patients live about one day before dying.
Jesus was homeless. That’s right. The ultimate anathema in America! He had no place to put his Christmas tree! In Luke 9:58 he matter-of-factly admitted it, “The foxes have holes and the birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay His head.”
We should rethink our definition of success!
For the past two decades I have lived in McMinnville, Oregon, the home of college football’s longest winning streak (all divisions) at 65 years, by Linfield University! It was an honor to have living legend Ad Rutchsman on the Men in the Arena Podcast. On it we discussed the book about his life, Winning with Class: The Story of Hall of Fame Coach Ad Rutchsman, his 24-year contribution to the streak as Linfield’s head coach, and impact on a myriad of others through the young men he coached.
It’s never too late to think about your legacy. I’ve been working towards that end for 30 years with my journaling, personal vision statement, and eulogy. Yes, I wrote my dream eulogy.
I firmly believe that whatever you put to the grindstone will be remembered on your tombstone. I’ve never heard a dying man say he wish he’d spent more time at the office. Think about those who will be crying at your death bed and answer three legacy questions that Rex uses to challenge men:
So, my friend, who are you? Every man who deeply desires God’s best must answer this question of questions.
Let me rephrase the question before you trap yourself in some generic Christian cliché. Besides being a child of God, how has God uniquely crafted you? How are you a gift to this world? The answer to this question is found in your hand. In the story of God calling Moses out of a burning bush to lead the captive Israelite nation’s Exodus, God asks Moses “What is that in your hand?”...
2020 Hindsight is 20/20
Last year was unprecedented in so many ways. Where many struggled, with God's blessing 2020 was Men in the Arena's best ministry year to date. All of these goals were set at our annual Board of Directors Course Setting Retreat that we have every January. Below are some bulleted highlights from 2020.
- Obtained Wordserve Literary as our book agent
- Are negotiating a publishing contract with Five Stones Press
- Online auction "audible" raised $10,000 more than all previous fundraisers.
- Finished two books that will be released in 2021
- Started a weekly service for local men called the "Arena Gathering"
- Joined the Board of Directors of the National Coalition of Ministries to Men
- Men in the Arena Podcast had downloads from 122 nations
- The Instagram following grew from 300 to over 4,100
- Several posts had over 15,000 likes
- Financial Champion team is the strongest it has ever been
- Paid staff team grew from two to six
- Our new online assessment is weeks away from being released on our website. We believe God will use it to reach one million men.